Increasing Partition size.

We are in the process of testing our own NAS box (Compaq with Smart
Array 6400).

The Compaq box has a capacity of 14 Hotswap HD's - but due to budget
restraints, we have initially only purchased 5 drives.

Current data partition is ~409Gb - but we will be wanting to add
additional storage(To the data partition) as demand dictates.

The method to increase the data partition I have used is:

- Turn off server, add new HD's, boot into HP Top Tools and add the new
drives to the array (Giving additional space).
- Reboot server, once in Deb, unmount data partition(Unmount not totally
necessary)
- cfdisk(or fdisk), delete the data partition(Making note of the
starting cylinder), then recreate the data partition with the same
starting cylinder, but incorporate the new free space.
- resize_reiserfs to increase the fs size to incorporate the newly
available space

The above method does not fill me with confidence - Especially once the
NAS is in production...maybe it's just me, but deleting a partition
scares the bejesus out of me!

Do I have any other options (Other than adding new HD's as required, and
creating new partitions each time)?

Regards,
MB