Re: KNOPPIX CD to check computer's linux compatibility?

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 08:20:44PM -0700, Dan Lawrence wrote:
> On 16 May 2004, you wrote in linux.debian.user:
> > You're going to have to boot off the CD to do the test.  Once you
> > do that, Knoppix will try to boot into its graphical environment
> > anyway. There's no way to use a shell from it without booting.
>
> Sure you can.  Just give the command "knoppix 2" at the boot prompt
> and knoppix will not start X.  You can also boot into a 2.6.x kernel
> this way (the default is 2.4.x).

Um, that would be "booting".  I didn't say you couldn't boot to a
shell, I said you had to reboot the computer in Knoppix to use the
Knoppix shell commands.

> > You could suppress the graphical environment, but why?

... and this quote indicates that I knew perfectly well you could not
start X, making your response very puzzling.

My point was that, if one is testing a computer to see if it supports
Linux, one might want a comprehensive test such as is produced by a
full Knoppix boot.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading