Debian/Lilo problem

I am trying to get a Debian system 3.0 to use a 2.4.16-k7 kernel
I have added the kernel to lilo.conf & entered the command lilo but get a
error (I do not get the error if I try using the 2.2.20-idepci kernel) the
error is:-
request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "305" or 03:05
Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

If you have ANY clues please let me know as I have spent 3 days on this now
or if you can tell me where I can find an ISO 2.4cd that will install using
a network install it would save me hours of work. And I need this working by
AM tomorrow !

Thanks

Denis

believed to be clean.