Re: intel scsi controller srczcr

John Hitzfelder wrote:

Ok.  I have to get debian on this machine with this raid controller - no
other drives in the box.  It will be the first linux box for this company
and I've been the linux evangelist here... and I'm needing help.

I've never played with RAID, so can't help at all there.
<snip>

the other line of action:  using the disks
provided by intel to get a base system up and running and then upgrade the
kernel from there.

That still has problems.
The intel controller comes with a cd that makes a set of install floppies:
rescue, root and driver modules for the controller.  They are at kernel
2.2.19-compact.

I boot with the rescue disk, partition the drive, install root, swap and
lilo on a boot partition.

The problem comes with installing a base system from that.
<snip>

I also tried to apt upgrade with a sources.list I created, but apt isn't
installed yet.

Any help getting a base system on that? Or how to upgrade with the little
bit that is loaded?

If you have network connectivity, you should be able to http or ftp down the appropriate apt package and dependencies from debian.org. Click on the "Debian Packages" link on the left side of www.debian.org, then "View the packages in the stable distribution" link, then the "Base Utilities" link, then "apt", and all the dependency files. Once you have the files, you can install them with "dpkg -i *deb". Of course, this means working out the dependencies manually, but once you have everything in place, you can start treating your box like a normal Debian box.

--
Kent