Re: how to upgrade to kernel 2.6

j smith wrote:
i have Debian 3.0, i can watch TV with xawtv, but
output of TV recording has no audio. can you help me?

What video capture card are you using?  I have a Leadtek WinFast 2000 XP
Deluxe which sends the audio out of one jack and plugs into the AUX IN jack of my sound card. So, be sure to have the volume of the auxiliary jack up.

so i want to upgrade to kernel 2.6 in the hope of solving this problem, but how to upgrade? should i
just use a tgz file? has the new kernel been ported to Debian?

Which version of Debian are you using? I suspect it's stable (woody). Testing (sarge) already has deb packages for the 2.6 kernels. You _may_ be able to find backported 2.6 kernel packages for woody from www.apt-get.org but you need the module-init-tools package as well.

So far, my video capture card does not work properly with the 2.6 kernel. The channel frequencies are off so I can never get a clear picture and some channels are missing. I'd give it a shot but if it comes out fuzzy, I'd go back to the 2.4 kernel.