Re: wierd dpkg error, only on one package

On Sunday 16 May 2004 01:06 am, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> > Something like that.  It eventually worked.  Not a corrupt download
> > but a subtly broken package I think.
>
> That's what I was thinking, but I've been known to start
> messing/tinkering when things like this happen, and mess things up real
> bad, so I thought I would ask before starting anything.

Yeah, me too.  Usually the safest thing is to wait a week or two and try
again, but I usually end up with some kind of dependency tangle right when I
need to install some new package or other.  So I have to hack through it to
get things working again.  (I should figure out how to de-update and just
step back a notch, but I'm too lazy.)

Broken ALSA packages a bit back, for example.  I had to get the source and
hack one of the scripts just to finish doing an install.  Annoying.

But it does happen.  That's why they call it "Unstable" or "Testing" after
all.

I just take comfort from remembering how much worse this was with an RPM-based
distro.  "In order to satisfy dependencies, you must remove:  kernel,
XFree86, your spleen, your CPU, and your neighbor's dog."

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/