Re: Keyboard and locale problems

On Saturday 15 May 2004 11:31, David W.E. Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just done a hard disc install of Knoppix 3.3 which gives me Debian
> 2.4.24-xfs.
[...]
> Second problem - I am stuck with a US keyboard layout and a UK keyboard.
>
> I am trying to change the default 'locale' settings in /etc/sysconfig, but
> I can't seem to get the settings right.
>
> [BTW why is the configuration file named 'i18n'?]
>
> From browsing man pages I think it should be 'en_uk' or 'en_UK';

I started kde yesterday in order to try to resolve a similar issue - I thought
I'd then be able to read the config files kde had written, but I can't find
them.  However, I have got an arrangement I can live with now, inasmuch as
the keyboard has the same characters on it that show up on the screen.  I
failed to get the euro symbol so far...

> however if I fire up a new xterm 'locale returns:
>
> g# locale
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> LANG=en_UK
[...etc...]

On my system, locale now shows
LANG=en_GB
LC_CTYPE="en_GB"
...etc...
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB"
LC_ALL=

> My i18n configuration file contains:
> :/etc/sysconfig# cat i18n

I have no file called i18n anywhere on the system - plenty of directories and
filenames including 'i18n', but all in /usr/share, var/lib and var/cache.
Nothing in /etc and nothing in /home  -- so whatever kde configured is not
that.

This particular laptop was a mepis rather than a knoppix install.  I have a
desktop that originally came from knoppix, and it does have
the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file.  I'll fiddle with that and see if I learn
anything.  BTW do you know how to read in a newly edited version without
rebooting the whole system?

--
richard