Keyboard and locale problems

Hi,

I have just done a hard disc install of Knoppix 3.3 which gives me Debian
2.4.24-xfs.

I am having problems with my graphics card (Matrox MGA Millenium) and so
cannot run a GUI on the box itself.

This means that I miss out on all the graphical configuration tools which
come with the KDE desktop, and I have to manage the system remotely using an
X-Server on my Windows PC.

First problem - can't find any obvious X (or even non-X) configuration tool
widgets to automate configuration (such as found under KDE or like
'linuxconf' under RedHat).

Second problem - I am stuck with a US keyboard layout and a UK keyboard.

I am trying to change the default 'locale' settings in /etc/sysconfig, but I
can't seem to get the settings right.

[BTW why is the configuration file named 'i18n'?]

>From browsing man pages I think it should be 'en_uk' or 'en_UK'; however if
I fire up a new xterm 'locale returns:

g# locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_UK
LC_CTYPE="en_UK"
LC_NUMERIC="en_UK"
LC_TIME="en_UK"
LC_COLLATE="en_UK"
LC_MONETARY="en_UK"
LC_MESSAGES="en_UK"
LC_PAPER="en_UK"
LC_NAME="en_UK"
LC_ADDRESS="en_UK"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_UK"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_UK"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_UK"
LC_ALL=

My i18n configuration file contains:

:/etc/sysconfig# cat i18n
LANG="en_UK"
COUNTRY="uk"
LANGUAGE="uk"
CHARSET="iso8859-1"
XMODIFIERS=""

The original was:

:/etc/sysconfig# cat i18n.old
LANG="C"
COUNTRY="us"
LANGUAGE="us"
CHARSET="iso8859-1"
XMODIFIERS=""

Any assistance gratefully received; I have been spoiled by automated
configuration tools and going back to editing text configuration files is
causing me some pain :-)

TIA
Dave R