Re: pen tablet

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 12:26:40AM -0700, jack kinnon wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have one more device to config for Linux; a Genius wizardpen 5x4 pen
> tablet. Net search came up with a driver which requires XFree86 source
> and the installation procedure seems weird. A search thro' Debian
> package does not provide an alternative. I know that kernel-2.6.3 has
> support for Wacom tablet. Is there any later version that supports the
> Genius tablet?

Hi,

I found some information on getting the tablet to work in the console
via gpm[1], however most of the links are broken. This includes
information on setting the correct repeater, allowing you to use the gpm
repeater device under X.

There is further information about the correct GPM types at[2]. This
seems to suggest that `mainstream' gpm has the correct driver built-in,
although it mentions that a modified X driver is needed to make sense of
the repeater.

If you cannot obtain a pre-built, modified X driver for your
computer architecture that you are willing to trust, you will need the
source for the driver and the X source in order to build it.

I doubt that versions 2.6.x (x > 3) provide any more support for the
tablet than 2.6.3 does, but I have not checked this myself. You need to
scour the changelogs at a mirror of www.kernel.org to be sure.

[1] http://www.genius-europe.com/service/faq/tuxtablet.htm
[2] http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl7_gpm-types.htm

--