Re: Xserver

Hasse Bylov wrote:
I've tried SuSE Linux and it worked perfect for me, but a friend told
me some great things about Debian, so I wanted to try it out...

The whole FTP-install went perfect.

Well now I've got this problem with the X-server (see the log-files
attached. Btw, I think it's the XFree86.0.log you might wanna have a
look at) - Linux won't start X while the display settings are false.
I couldn't identify any drivers for my (onbord ASUS) graphics card. I
tried selecting VGA, but it didn't go well. With SuSE there was no
problem at all (except it couldn't find a "real" gfx-driver, but it
worked fine all right - in a res. of 1280x1024, 24bits @ 75Hz).

Apparently you are installing woody. You may have to investigate for yourself (Google, etc.) whether XFree86 4.1.0 supports your graphics card (I assume you know the make and model). 4.1.0 is a few years old now.

If your card is relatively recent or common, your best bet may be to post a thread to the list with its make and model in the subject line. Hopefully you'll be able to get in touch with someone who is successfully running a similar card.

But do try giving Google a go first.

I don't think anyone here is going to pretend that automated detection or present (or even past) hardware is one of the strengths of woody.

If it turns out that your card is not supported under 4.1.0, you'll need to look into either pulling Xfree86 out of unstable, or (more preferably) using a back port of a new version of XFree86. Feel free to ask about that here.

dircha