Re: differences between kernel-tree and kernel-source and kernel image

Hello!

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:54:26PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:48:29PM -0400, David Piniella wrote:
> >    I'm running 2.4 now and would like to /try/ to get 2.6 on my
> > machine. I've had problems with apt-getting images, but doing an
> > "apt-cache search kernel" showed me a package "kernel-tree-2.6.5" --
> > will this install the kernel or try to patch an existing 2.6 kernel or
> > something else? How can I find this out without installing the package?
> >
> on my UNSTABLE system this is the output of 'apt-cache search kernel':
> [...snip 50k of output...]

Thanks, now everybody can recheck their output of that apt-cache
command. 50k of unnecessary output, about 2200 subscribers plus
newsgroup, you get the number... ;)

David, try 'apt-cache show <packagename>' to get further info, please
see the Debian Reference as well as the rest of the fine documentation
for details (<http://www.debian.org/doc/).

If you want a pre-built kernel you should install one of the
kernel-image packages. If you want to roll your own you'll need one of
the others, please check their descriptions.

Cheers,
Flo