Re: Concerning testing

Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 14 May 2004, Clive Menzies wrote:

On (14/05/04 15:17), Anthony Campbell wrote:

On 14 May 2004, John Chronakis wrote:

Hi,

Although I am an old Linux user, I have never used debian, and I am a
bit confused about the various versions.

I would like to install testing (sarge) on a small business server
(gateway, firewall, mail, web, ftp etc).
I know that I should install stable, but somehow I don't want to. So I
have some questions.

Do things break often with testing?
Will I have problems with security updates?
Is testing on a business server an awfully idea, or just not recommended.

I am asking those with debian experience, since I cannot judge only by
what I am reading on the official site.

Thanks.

Have a look in the archive (via Google if you like); there was an
extensive discussion of this subject a couple of weeks ago. The general
conclusion was that Unstable is the way to go in preference to Testing,
especially as regards security updates.

For workstations, yes but for servers Stable is strongly recommended.
Backports are available for later versions of particular packages.

True, but the poster did say that he didn't want to install stable.
These issues were covered in the earlier discussion, I think.

Anthony

Thank you all.
I had some hardware problems with the stable, but I may solve them by changing my configuration and install it.

Anthony, I have found the earlier discussion on google and it is interesting.