[no subject]

On (12/05/04 21:43), Lukas Foljanty wrote:
Hi.

I am a total newbie to Linux, so perhaps this is all stupid, but I have
a problem I cannot solve after installing the current build of Debian
on my PowerMac 8600.

Here it goes:
I (successfully) installed the basic installation of Debian (CD
distribution 1) for PowerMacs/PPC. I partitioned the hard drive,
installed some modules and then finished the installation. When it told
me that the installation was finished I restarted my Mac.

However, now I don't have a display signal! When booting of a split
second, the display receives a signal, but then goes blank. I can hear
the computer working and seemingly, it responds to keyboard inputs
(from the sounds it makes), but since the screen is black, I don't know
what's it's doing.

What's worse, I cannot boot in MacOS, either (neither booting from HD
nor CD). So I am completely stuck here.
Hi Lukas

It is likely that during the install you chose display settings that
aren't available ... unless, of course your monitor has died ;)

Try Ctl+Alt+P+R whilst booting - that will reset your PRAM.  You should
then be able to boot into mac OS. Do you know what boot loader you are
using for Debian - quik, bootX or yaboot?

Regards

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk
strategies for business

Hi Clive (and all).

Thanks a lot for your email.
Following your advice (zapping the PRAM), I was able to return to MacOS.

I checked BootX for video settings and found a check box labeled "no video driver". I selected it and started re-installing Debian. Just like before, the installer works flawlessly (correct video output). Unfortunately, after re-booting, the display was all blank again.

I also tried to restart with Boot parameters for old Apple displays (video=atyfb:vmode:6), but that didn't help either. The monitor is a 12" monochrome Apple display.

What else could I try?

Thanks,

Lukas