Re: 2.6 and nvidia

Kevin Mark wrote:
On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:46:38AM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

As a warning ... I was getting ready to upgrade my kernel to 2.6. I
downloaded the new nvidia package. I was following instructions from
/usr/share/doc without really thinking and did a "make" on the modules
package. Within seconds I got dumped out of X and have been unable to
start it ever since. The error messages I'm getting have to do with the
module versions not matching the kernel versions.

I have no idea how to get X back under my old kernel, and the new one
isn't ready to be used yet (basically nothing's working yet).

So as a warning....do NOT mess around with the latest nvidia packages
until you know for sure that the rest of the 2.6 kernel is going to work. :(

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin

Hi Emma,
are you referring to 'make'ing X or the kernel?
couldnt you just reinstall what was overriten?
or remove the X packages and install them?
-Kev

Had  the same problem with 2.6.5 and had to go back to 2.6.1 to get it all working again.

Bill K