Re: Formatting a partition for Windows XP

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 04:35:24AM +0000, Tom Kuiper wrote:
> > From bounce-debian-user=tbhk=DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov@lists.debian.org Wed May  5 16:33:40 PDT 2004
> > On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:54:42PM -0000, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > > On 2004-05-05, Tom Kuiper penned:

> > Depends on what you want to backup. If only the personal files
> > (probably what you should do) then get a mirroring program or a cd
> > burner and then use whatever file system you like.
>
> What I had in mind, excuse my ignorance, was to have a Win XP partition on
> my Linux system and to use samba to make it visible to the laptop. Then
> I imagined doing a Windows file copy (or backup) from the laptop root
> directory into the Windows partition on the Linux system.

Samba uses a linux partition locally not a windows partition. It
depends on linux to do the actual writing it just does the network
stuff. Notice that samba shares a directory, not a partition.

You need to make either the (linux) directory shared through samba (saw
a few walkthroughs on google a few days back). The remote computer
thinks its a windows directory for all it cares (just like you can
export any type of partition you like through nfs)