RE: lynx and google.com

Let me go further here.  When I sent the following unhelpful post to the
list:
"works for me."

I had tested this out on a Debian Sid box as well.  However, I connected to
the machine via ssh.  Now on my sid desktop I tried it and I got the same
error as the OP.  This time I was not connected via ssh, but a Gnome
terminal window.  I then ssh'd into my sid desktop and it worked fine.

On the first sid machine via SSH (Machine1), it worked.
apt-cache show lynx | grep Version
Version: 2.8.5-1
Version: 2.8.4.1b-3.2

On the second sid machine via Gnome terminal window (Machine2), if produced
the same message as the OP.
apt-cache show lynx | grep Version
Version: 2.8.5-1

On Machine2, when connected via SSH, it worked.

Strange...

Michael