Re: Massive increase of spam on debian-*@l.d.o

Paul Johnson wrote:
I agree.  Dialup/residential IP lists used for blocking purposes is
pretty retarded.  However, using something like bl.spamcop.net, which
only lists currently spamming IPs, is considerably more useful.

Which, of course, is not what was mentioned at all. What was mentioned was providers blocking *OUTBOUND* port 25 connections, not inbound. For example I'm currently on COX here in Vegas. The broadband options for most of Vegas boils down to: COX, COX and, uhm, COX. Actually I was on Pangeatech. I went so far as to research the broadband options for the apartments I had been looking at and found this one niche that wasn't COX. 7 months into my 13 month lease they dropped Pangeatech for COX. First problem? COX blocks all outbound port 25 connections to anything other than their mail server. End result? I couldn't connect to my personal mailserver on a colo machine I maintain nor could I connect to my work mailserver. No way in hell am I going to route my personal mail or work mail through their mail server. Ended up opening up a non-standard port to forward on to 25 on those machines.