Problem with newly installed kernel-2.6.3

Hi

I have checked the archive without any help to my problem. Using the 'scroll-lock' key, I was able to scroll-and-stop the screen during boot-up. I found three error msg.

1. Fatal server error: Cannot establish any listening socket - Make sure an X server isn't already running.

2. modprobe: Error during install command for serial /dev/ttyS0

3. syslog: cannot create /dev/log: Address family not supported by protocol.

These explain why I am not getting syslog and the gui. I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Do you Yahoo!?