Re: After dist-upgrade no Icewm

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:30:43PM -0400, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:01:44 -0400
> "Thomas H. George" <tom@spininternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have actually run dist-upgrade on several occasions without rebooting.
> > This morning I rebooted and found gdm no longer offered icewm in the
> > session options.  I switched to xdm (had to edit /etc/init.d/xdm as
> > changing /etc/X11/default-display-manager had no effect)
>
> You normally want to run
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xdm
>
> which should not only change /etc/X11/default-display-manager, but also
> change the HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER setting of /etc/init.d/xdm.
>

> > but this does
> > not solve the problem as the xdm/debian log in does not offer any
> > session options.  How to I get icewm back?
>
> I strongly suggest taking a look at:

> and in particular the "Before You Ask" section.  I'm pretty certain
> this question has been answered several times in the last two months
> in this mailing list; so the archives will help you.

Checked the above link - quite a lecture.  Still I read these postings
daily and had not noticed any earlier items on this topic.  Perhaps they
were there and I did not realize their relevance.

The whole thrust of the lecture gives me pause.  Of course, if I
encounter a significant problem I try to document carefully how it
occurred.  In this case I thought I was dealing with a trivial change in
an upgrade and the question would result in a routine response.

The problem is I am neither a newbie nor an expert.  I am a 75 year old
physicist with a lot of past programing experience and I can work things
out in detail when necessary.

If I were a newbie and read that lecture - how many pages was it? - I
would say debian linux is not for me, I'm out of here.

Well, I'm not a newbie, I love debian linux, I have received
immeasurable help from many people on this list and I'll stick with it.

Tom George