Good documentation on Sound ?

Can someone point out some good overview on the different sound systems
available on Debian (Sid) ?

I don't want to play about without understanding !

Actually, there are no problems here for the time being. But I'd like to
understand a bit more on this 'Kernel-based' ALSA, esd, OSS, etc.
I tried to google and around here, but what I get are zealots telling me
that OSS is s**t, or esd is just as bad or ALSA, which - of course !
'sucks'. And I'd have to use the only good one .... !

Anybody happens to have some good link ? (And please, don't start a
flamewar here !)

Uwe