Re: Formatting a partition for Windows XP

> From bounce-debian-user=tbhk=DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov@lists.debian.org Wed May  5 16:33:40 PDT 2004
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:54:42PM -0000, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > On 2004-05-05, Tom Kuiper penned:
> > > Greetings everyone.
> > >
> > > I would like to be able to back up my daughter's Window XP PE laptop
> > > to a secondary drive on my Linux (only) system.
> > >
> > > Question 1:  Should I make an NTFS partition or something else?
> >

> Depends on what you want to backup. If only the personal files
> (probably what you should do) then get a mirroring program or a cd
> burner and then use whatever file system you like.

What I had in mind, excuse my ignorance, was to have a Win XP partition on
my Linux system and to use samba to make it visible to the laptop. Then
I imagined doing a Windows file copy (or backup) from the laptop root
directory into the Windows partition on the Linux system.

> > I assume you mean on your linux system.  Linux won't reliably write to
> > NTFS -- don't try to do so.
> >

> It mostly just won't. Under very serious limitation it will probably
> just corrupt the NTFS partition.

So I hope that it is clear that I do not want to write to the NTFS
partition with Linux, only with Windows.  By the way, when I make this
partition, is NTFS the right type? That's my the laptop says it has.

> > > Question 2:  How can I format a filesystem that is 30 GB in size?
> >

> Make the partition 30GB size and format it. If you want it the same
> size as something else get a linux on cd run fdisk and check the exact
> specs of the partition.

The question is how? "mkfs -t hpfs" or "mkfs -t smb"?
If I use hpfs, will it format correctly?  Will samba be able to export it?
Will it be writable by a Windows client connected to the samba server?

> If its the exact size you can even backup the data using dd.

How would I do this over a LAN connection? Also, it's rather inefficient
for periodic backups. A proper Windows backup program would be better.

Just to drive home the point, there is no reason for the Linux system to
have anything to do with the Windows XP partition, except to make it
available to the laptop on the LAN.

Best wishes

Tom