Re: Formatting a partition for Windows XP

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:54:42PM -0000, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-05-05, Tom Kuiper penned:
> > Greetings everyone.
> >
> > I would like to be able to back up my daughter's Window XP PE laptop
> > to a secondary drive on my Linux (only) system.
> >
> > Question 1:  Should I make an NTFS partition or something else?

Depends on what you want to backup. If only the personal files
(probably what you should do) then get a mirroring program or a cd
burner and then use whatever file system you like.

> I assume you mean on your linux system.  Linux won't reliably write to
> NTFS -- don't try to do so.

It mostly just won't. Under very serious limitation it will probably
just corrupt the NTFS partition.

> > Question 2:  How can I format a filesystem that is 30 GB in size?

Make the partition 30GB size and format it. If you want it the same
size as something else get a linux on cd run fdisk and check the exact
specs of the partition.

If its the exact size you can even backup the data using dd.