Re: exim4 and HELO

On 2004-05-05, Brian Walker penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> On 2004-05-04, Brian Walker penned:
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>playing around with installing exim4 for mutt 1.5, I am unable to
>>>find out how to rectify this problem:
>>>
>>>exim4 -v abc@def
>>>
>>>the output includes the error message: SMTP<< EHLO SMTP<< 501 5.0.0
>>>EHLO requires domain address
>>>
>>>in /etc/hostname I have tried various addresses including localhost
>>>and 127.0.0.1
>>>
>>>the exim4 config mentions EHLO once - uncommented the script, no
>>>effect on output.
>>>
>>>Where do I make the change/add a domain address to please HELO/EHLO?
>>>
>>>Many thanks
>>>
>>>Brian
>>>

>> A few possibilities, but try putting this in your exim4
>> configuration:
>>
>> primary_hostname = your.fully.qualified.domain.name
>>
> Many thanks Monique and Paul
>
> No success though. I need to put a fully qualified domain name in
> exim4.conf, but for the life of me I cannot see where. Tried as
> suggested, and it laughed at me!
>
> As an aside, the problems really started with a Sarge upgrade a while
> ago, following which my clock time was not updated ... I left it to
> deal with later, as I reasoned it was a simple configuration error of
> very little importance. Any thoughts as to cause?
>
> You mentioned further possibilities ... what are they?

Hard to say without knowing what "it laughed at me" means, specifically.
Do you know if you're using the four hundred billion small files
approach, or the monolithic file approach?

You might also try putting a fqdn in /etc/hostname.

Does your machine have an entry for itself in /etc/hosts ?  If so, try
making sure that the fqdn is the first entry listed for the machine.

--
monique