Re: Looking for a good LDAP howto. pam, smb, etc.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 20:22:48 -0400
"Kirill Lapshin" <kir@lapshin.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup a centralized login authority for logging in both
> linux and windows users. Later on it may be extended to supply info for
> DNS etc. I've spent quite a lot of time googling around, reading various
> writeups, but yet have to find a good one.
>
> Any recommendations?

If all you care about is authorization you might also want to check out pgina
(http://pgina.xpasystems.com/) which is a replacement for the Windows login
dialog. There is a plugin available which allows you to directly authenticate
against an ldap server.

As for DNS I would recommend powerdns which also has an ldap backend. The
advantage over scripts that convert the dns info from ldap to bind zone files,
is that any change to the ldap data is instantly available.