sarge installation doesn't recognise cdrom

1. downloaded sarge 1 using jigdo, make the boot cd.

2. boot from cd - get error "There was a problem reading data from the
CDROM..."

3. repeat steps 1 and 2.

4. create bootable floppy from sbm.bin (dd) and boot into sbm

5. tell sbm to install from cdrom - "can't access cdrom"

I have a standard VIA IDE chipset less than 3 years old and standard atapi
cdrom.

I have woody running on the machine now. Should I try installing sarge from
woody? If so how would I do this?

Suggestions?

David
dmoore@geomap.com