Re: sound not working in Sid (2.4.26-1-686)

H. S. wrote:
> I have been trying to make sound work in Sid
> (2.4.26-1-686), but haven't been successful. The
> speaker icon in the gnome panel shows "muted". If I
> click on it, it gives the popup saying "Couldn't open
> mixer device /dev/sound/mixer". Any idea how I could
> go about fixing this?
>
> Here are the modules that I have loaded:
> ~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> i810_audio             24732   0  (unused)
> ac97_codec             13684   0  [i810_audio]
> soundcore               3940   2  (autoclean)
> [i810_audio]

<snip>

Run alsamixer to unmute and adjust the levels for your sound. Or,
alternatively, install gnome-alsamixer. The default one installed with
GNOME only supports OSS if I recall correctly. And of course make sure
your user account is in the 'audio' group.

--Chris