Re: nameserver queries

S.D.A. wrote:
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:40:25AM -0700 or thereabouts, Paul Johnson wrote:

Harland Christofferson <debian-user@zerocrossings.com> writes:

i have a subnet on a corporate internet that i use for code builds.
my gateway serves as a dns and firewall for the subnet. my gateway
contacts the corporate nameserver too frequently (a few to several
times per second) and the corporate it people have complained to me
about this. i'd like to decrease the rate of queries. how may i do
this? i have googled but haven't found an answer.

Install a caching DNS server.  I'm sure there's some stand-alone
forward-only caching DNS servers out there, however the only method to
do this that I've tried is reconfiguring BIND to do it.

Is there a 'howto' somewhere for this? I've often thought of doing this, but I'm
definitely no bind guru.

I did a quick Google search for local caching. I gather that using Bind for this
is rather complicated for the user not experienced in Bind. Would you recommend
using Dan Bernstein's DNS cache - part of his djbdns tools for this?

It's been a while since I looked, but I think it's simple enough if you take a quick skim through the administrator's reference guide available at http://www.nominum.com/content/documents/bind9arm.pdf or maybe even the FAQ at http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/FAQ.php