libstdc++ versions

I'm having trouble running a C++/Lisp app compiled on Redhat 9 on my debian boxes. Based on the stdout, I'm initially looking for libstdc++ version mismatches:

Warning: Loading sys:libngtr-nonplanar.so failed with error:
         libstdc++.so.2.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file
         or directory.

(looks like even woody is up to libstdc++ 3.mumble these days.)

I'd like to read more about the history of libstdc++, but apart from this overly-specific page ( http://gcc.gnu.org/libstdc++ ), I've not had any luck. Any gurus in the house know the long sordid story?

Please reply-to svref AT yahoo DOT com, as I'm not able to subscribe to debian-user.