mouse lost with KVM switch

I have the kde desktop and a graphical login via the kdm package
(3.1.4-0woody1).  Direct connections with the mouse to the system work fine
but when a kvm switch is used the mouse typically freezes on the login
screen.

I've experimented with mouse configuration, setting XF86Config-4 to "auto"
or "PS/2" to no effect.  I can regain the mouse sometimes by dropping into
a text shell and restarting X but I wonder if there isn't a better way
since other distributions that I use do not have the same issue.  Any
suggestions?

Aaron