Re: X: server must be suid root

valentina dyachenko wrote:

Hi, I found your message in internet :
Hello,

This is the second time I've posted this question. If someone could suggest a better place to post it, please do. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to post to the debian-x mailing list.

I know I've seen this before, but I cannot find the solution anywhere. I can run X as root just fine. But when I try to run it as a user, I get the following errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(WW) xf86ReadBIOS: Failed to open /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)

My first suspicion would be in "/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config". "allowed_users" needs to equal "console".

--
Kent