Re: Problem in obtaining high resolution display using Intel 865G graphical chipset

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 16:16, CheeWee wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    I have problem in getting my KDE to display high resolution screen
> beyond 640x480 using 16 bits colour. I have read the notes on the web
> regarding the i810 driver and have upgraded my kernel to 2.4.18. My
> version of XFree86 is 4.3.0 which can support my chipset using i810
> driver. I have also installed agpgart module using modconf
> successfully. When I tried to increase the resolution by changing
> XF86Config-4, it gives me the error that the mode is not supported. I
> noted that my video RAM is recognised by only 852KiloByte from the log
> file, even though I have stated VIDEORAM to be 16MB under the
> XF86Config-4 file. I really hope that someone can help me as I have
> been stuck on this problem for many days. Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
> CheeWee
> p.s my comp is Dell Optiplex GX270N. anyone exp such prob before?

This is probably the known problem with the A03 BIOS not reporting
correctly the video ram - I don't have the references handy but if you
change to the A02 BIOS it should work. For some reason Dell don't seem
to be in any hurry to fix this BIOS problem. If you need more
information let me.

Graham