Switching daemons between boxes

Hi All,

	I want to be able to switch application daemons between
separate debian boxes and am looking for the most efficient way
to move the ip-address with it with as little hardcoding the
addresses as possible, in order to make the move completely
transparant to the users.

	In my opinion the most efficient way would be to set up
the applications ip address as a secondary one (eth0:1 etc.) and
bring it up and down as part of the process of starting  and
stopping the application.

	After breaking my head over trying to use the logical
device mapping with ifupdown and only finally realising this is
meant to be used the other way around, I'm out of options and
ideas.

	Anybody do this before/has any hints, tips?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sincerely,

Jan.