Re: printer puzzle

Richard Lyons wrote:
I am constantly puzzled by printer configuration. Every time I get it right, I then discover that there are exceptions - applications that do not use the general settings. Can anyone explain to me why the gimp always has its own list of pinters and usually can print even when nothing else can?

Even more important, why does mozilla have its own - usually non-functioning - settings? Currently on the upstairs box mozilla offers the following printers:
   lp@:64
   xp_ps_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64
   xp_pdf_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64
   PostScript/default
None of these makes any sense to me, and if I try to print I get the usual unstoppable stream of raw postscript wasting reams of paper and precious ink cartridges. Why do the cups printers not show up in Mozilla? Is there a way to correct this?

TIA

Mozilla does not print. It uses xprint exclusively, that is where your problem lies: in what X believes your printers are. But if you google for that you'll find this has been covered lots of times in this list.

H.