Re: Problem with video card when installing X

Barrie Stott wrote:
I have a new machine and am installing Debian Woody on it. Everthing
seems to be fine till I get to installing X and then I get the error:

	(EE) No devices detected

According to the blurb on the box, the card I am using is a Sparkle
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128Mb DDR+TV and the part of the log file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log which refers to the video card is reproduced
below.

------------------------
(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
	RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
	RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
	Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
	Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
	GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
	GeForce3 (rev 3)
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.
------------------------

However, earlier in the log is the line:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) NVidia unknown chipset (0x0322) rev 161, Mem @ 0xde000000/24, 0xd0000000/27, BIOS @ 0xdf6e0000/17

This last line suggests that the card is no good for X on linux but the
bit, `GeForce DDR', in the previous part which lists chipsets suggests
it is.

If anyone can help I'd be happy to hear from them. And if more info is
needed, I'd be happy to provide it.

Barrie.

Did you try the NVidia closed source driver?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html