Re: High CPU usage for disk I/O

Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
Hello.

Recently I upgraded 2 boxes for self-compiled 2.4 kernel to Debian 2.6.5 kernel from sid.

Now both boxes experience high CPU usage during disk I/O, which causes serious performance degradation.

DMA is on.
hdparm -tT shows that disk speed is the same as before upgrade - 20 mb/sec on one box, 40 mb/sec on another - that means, DMA is really enabled. However, similar to any other disk activity, while hdparm is performing it's test CPU usage is almost at 100% (in iowait state). Before upgrade, CPU was idle during test.

What is the output of `hdparm -i /dev/hda` (or whatever the device is?

-Roberto Sanchez