Re: dvd & tv-out problem with X

Seems there aren't too many using / interested in tv out.

Anyway, I managed to get tv-out to work (by using atitvout) with telling X to use the vesa driver instead of radeon. (I.e. by editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, looking up the device driver (was "radeon") and changing it to "vesa".)

There's one problem with this fix though: I can't use (the video out (?) driver) xv anymore, but have to use x11 to playback movies etc..
/It works/ like this, but it would be nice to be able to use xv ...

Not sure why it stopped working in the first place though: whatever made it not-work, must be something else than what I changed; I tried / looked at a backup of XF86Config-4, and I /had/ been using the `radeon' driver before (and it worked).

Kristian Niemi wrote:
Question I:

I've got this strange problem; tvout in X doesn't work any more -- works fine from shell though (i.e. `bashing' on tv works ;) ).

I have a ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile card on a Dell Inspiron laptop, running Debian unstable (up to date). I'm using the package atitvout to `attach' tv (command atitvout -f t)

The thing is, and the strange part, that everything worked fine a couple of days ago, Tuesday to be exact. So my guess is that some package, that has gotten updated since Tuesday, is causing this. Perhaps there's some really easy setting(s) that I have forgotten about?

Does anyone feel like taking a guess as to what package might be causing this / what settings I could try? I have a feeling it has something to do with X, not atitvout, but I could (very well) be wrong. Can you think of a package that might have something to do with this?

The only thing I've really added to Debian since then, is XFCE-4, including all recommended packages. (Don't see how that might have an effect?) *Everything looks fine, works fine*, except when looking at it through the tv. The commands I use to attach the tv is as they were when it worked, as is XF86Config-4 (I tried with a backup conf).