Re: Debian WiFi card recomendations please

[This message has also been posted.]
In article <1GIsn-1S9-9@gated-at.bofh.it>, Ben Edwards (lists) wrote:
> I am sure I have asked this before but got no response.  I simply would
> like to know which 802.11 a or g cards work with minimum disruption to
> ones social life (i.e. easy as possible to set up).

You might be disappointed with 802.11a.  It's not upward-compatible
to 802.11g, nor is it compatible with common 802.11b hot spots.

> I am using Debian with a 2.4.18 kernel on my PC (which I want a PCI
> card) and am also running a laptop, which I think has a smiler kernel
> (its actually set up by using the hd install from knopix).
>
> I would also be interested to know if there is anything that works with standard sarge install (i.e. preferably something sarge can probe and use during a netinstall).

I just picked up a Belkin F5D6020 ver.2 card (802.11b PC-Card) at
surpluscomputers.com for $20.  It uses an Atmel chip with no driver
in linux-2.4.25.  However, there was a well-packaged driver in
source form on Atmel's Web site, mentioned in the manual that
came with the card.  It built without errors and loads and
runs with no problems.  You'll need kernel source.
They had a PCI card with the same chip, too.

Cameron
http://web.greens.org/~cls/linux/knoppixoffer.shtml