Re: apt-get install hangs while unpacking

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 03:11:06PM -0500, David wrote:
> The problem is most likely to occur on large deb files.  Small one are
> much more likely to install OK.  The problem is not limited to any one
> particular file.  Also, dpkg -i is more likely to work than apt-get.
>
> Somewhere someone said that it may be a corrupt library.  I reinstalled
> lots of packages and that didn't fix the problem.  I just went through the
> painful process (many, many hangs requiring repeat runs!!) of upgrading to
> testing to see if that fixed the problem.  I don't think it did.  Right
> now I am really questioning my decision to switch from Redhat over to
> debian.  The main draw for me was the power of apt-get, but it is more
> problem than solution.  Arg!  I wish there was someone with a fix for
> this.

I'd suggest using 'strace -f' to try to see what's going on. The output
will be large, but you could stick it on a web site and see if someone
can work it out.

I've never heard of this problem before. I don't believe it's a common
problem with Debian. Are you sure you don't have a subtle hardware
problem?

Cheers,