need tool to configure network

Hi,

my Debian system ran for months without problems. Now the address for
the router to the internet changed and I don't know how to tell the
system this permanently.

I know how to do this manually (using route). But after rebooting I've
the old address again.
I know I can edit /etc/network/interfaces by hand, but there's this
warning "etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT
BEFORE IT" in it.

So there must be a tool to do this - YaST does this in SUSE. I already
installed etherconf but don't know how to use it (can't even start it),
same with debconf.

Christian