Re: keep users alert to packages deleted from debian

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 07:35:49PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>> >
>> > You mean like dselect?
>>
>> Also aptitude. Don't use apt-get for serious administration; 'apt-get
>> install' is useful, but for the rest you should use a real front-end.
>>
>> --
>> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]
>
> Let me add this to my reference starting paragraph.
>
> <chapt id="package">Debian package management

> Don't use <prgn>apt-get</prgn> for serious administration;
> <tt>apt-get install</tt> is useful, but for the rest you should use

I would venture to say that only 'apt-get source' is useful.  'apt-get
install' doesn't offer anything 'aptitude install' offers.  In fact, if
you use aptitude, you should never use 'apt-get install' since you lose
the benefits of aptitude tracking automatic dependencies.

The only times I've used 'apt-get install' in the past 1.5 years or so
are on newly installed systems, and then it's only to do 'apt-get
install aptitude'.  ;)

--
You win again, gravity!