Using Hauppauge TV card remote with 2.6 kernel

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a Hauppauge TV card remote
control with the 2.6 kernel? I couldn't get the lirc source modules to
compile--they complained about not finding a... Rules.makefile file,
or something like that? Sorry--I'm not at the computer with the card. I
can get details if that would be helpful. On the lirc site it said
there was only very experimental code for 2.6. Is that out of date,
or is there some other project that does remotes? Sorry if I've missed
something obvious--single line URL's and brief comments of disgust with
my stupidity are welcome :).
--
Daniel Teichert, BYU ECEn Dept. CSR
Email address: danielt@ee.byu.edu