Re: Just Lost KDE Access

Joris Huizer wrote:

> In that case, try
>   apt-get --reinstall install kde
> It'll install kde again even though it's allready installed - and it'll
> probably fix the problem with gdm
>
> An alternative is, have a look at /etc/gdm/Sessions, it should contain a
> file KDE like the one I attached
>
> I hope this helps. I'm sure you don't need to reinstall like that

I just rebooted and was pleased to discover that the problem was "mysteriously" fixed. At some point during my troubleshooting, I must have done an apt-get install kdm, because when I rebooted just a few minutes ago, I was presented with the kdm login screen instead of the gdm screen I had before, and everything is now back to how it was previously (including still not being able to download pictures out of the camera due to the connection timing out).

So that's one less problem to be thinking about while I'm away over the weekend. Now to continue work on the gphoto problem as well as the network issues...

BTW, are there alternatives to gphoto2 for camera access? Perhaps using something else will do the job...