Re: Just Lost KDE Access

Kent West wrote:

Ah; since Knoppix is a mix-mash of several branches of Debian as well as a few other sources thrown in, I'm not surprised things went wrong. Knoppix is a _Great_ LiveCD, but it has some definite drawbacks as an installed system, IMO.

The reason I went the Knoppix route was because when I tried installing Debian originally, I was not able to get either of the onboard NICs to work (Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB), but Knoppix was able to at least recognize the 3Com NIC just fine, and I wanted to be up and running fast instead of spending days trying to figure out how to get the nForce drivers set up. In fact, it was someone here on this list who recommended using the knx-hdinstall feature to install Knoppix to the hard drive. :D

What I'd do is clean up /etc/apt/sources.list to just point to official Debian mirrors, the sid branch, then "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade", followed by lots of repair, including "apt-get --reinstall install x-window-system kde".

Or thereabouts.

But you could try just "apt-get install kde" and see what that does for you.

I already tried apt-get install kde and was informed that KDE was already the latest version. So, I will now try the update/dist-upgrade/reinstall technique and see if that fixes things. If it doesn't, then I am going to go ahead and do a total reinstall. At least I have copied my home directory onto another partition, so I should be able to recover my settings and documents afterwards.

Also, I was able to get the camera working last night. So if I am unable to get it working after reinstalling and doing apt-get upgrade again, I will hopefully be able to just pull the gphoto2 settings from the pre-upgrade installation and copy them over...