Re: Can no longer use ctrl-alt-del in new X - bug or feature?

Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> said on Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:58:21 -0500:
> Tim Connors(tconnors+linuxdebianuser1080903557@astro.swin.edu.au) is reported to have said:
> > I've got this in my Xmodmap file:
> > !seems X4.3 broke Xemacs. Try removing these again later
> > !souce the following only on telluirum - see .xmodmap-tellurium
> > keycode  67 = F1
> > keycode  68 = F2
> > keycode  69 = F3
> > keycode  70 = F4
> > keycode  71 = F5
> > keycode  72 = F6
> > keycode  73 = F7
> > keycode  74 = F8
> > keycode  75 = F9
> > keycode  76 = F10
> > keycode  95 = F11
> > keycode  96 = F12
> >
> > But this disables the ability to switch consoles. So you can either
> > have working Xemacs or you can have working console switching, but not
> > both.
> >

> Strange...
>
> bash-2.05b$ dpkg -l xbase-* xserver-* |grep ii
> ii  xbase-clients  4.3.0-7        miscellaneous X clients
> ii  xserver-common 4.3.0-7        files and utilities common to all X servers
> ii  xserver-xfree8 4.3.0-7        the XFree86 X server
>
> bssh-2.05b$ xmodmap -pke |grep F1
> keycode  67 = F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1
> keycode  76 = F10 XF86_Switch_VT_10
> keycode  95 = F11 XF86_Switch_VT_11
> keycode  96 = F12 XF86_Switch_VT_12

That's what I meant.

Now try C-h k shift-F1 in Xemacs, and see that it registers just F1.

So put in my workaround Xmodmap file, and lose the ability to switch consoles now.

We are no longer the knights who say "ni"
We are the knights who say "icky icky (Comet) Ikeya-Zhang zoooboing!"
             --Lord Ender @ /.