Re: Exim & squirrelmail

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:40:16 +0200, "Bojan Baros"
<bojan@blis.dyndns.org> wrote:

> > I am using Exim default configure with Qpopper. Now I am try to
> > configure
> > squirrelmail but when I try to login into squirrelmail it prompt me an
> > error.
> >
> > ERROR : Could not complete request.
> > Query:SELECT "INBOX"
> > Reason Given: Mailbox does not exist
> >
> > ERROR : Could not complete request.
> > Query:CREATE "INBOX.Sent"
> > Reason Given: Permission denied
>
> First of all, SquirrelMail is an IMAP client, not POP3.  The
> difference is that IMAP client browses mail on the mail server, while
> POP3 downloads it to the local machine.
>
> Is this what you originally intended?  If so, you have to download an
> IMAP server for your email server.  apt-get install cyrus-imap should
> get you started.

I've gone through the same pain two days ago (switched from mailfiles
to maildirs) and got the same error message.
I don't know exactly what I did to get it working (apart from using
strong language...), but:
- I switched to courier-imap  (cyrus should also be possible, but
didn't work out-of-the-box for me);
- execute /etc/squirrelmail/conf.pl, option 'D' 'set pre-defined
settings for specific IMAP servers', select courier.

Hope this helps,
--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com