Where is contrib?

Hi Debian!

I jigdoed the first 6 Sarge CD's, so they are uptodate.

In e.g. the last one, #6, I can see contrib packages:
/dists/sarge/contrib/binary-1386/Packages
/pool/contrib/b/batik
both have "batik".

But when I do synaptic, none are listed.
Nor in aptitude.

And apt-get install batik gets "Couldn't find it".

These CD's are loopmounted and my sources.list has:

deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD1/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD2/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD3/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD4/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD5/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD6/debian sarge main contrib

#for modified bruby X
deb /http://www.schuldei.org/debian/bruby/ ./

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

When I take out CD6 and instead burn that iso to CD and then do apt-cdrom add and thereafter apt-get update, it does not find batik either. But he finds regular packages on CD6.

Can anybody explain why I the presumably human can see the contrib packages but apt-get or its friends not?

Thanks!

Hugo