Trouble installing nic driver for intel 82562ET

Hello,

I have just intalled the debian 30r2 binary 1 cd for the first time on my second
computer but im having trouble installing my network card. I have the 82562ET
ethernet adapter so after checking on the intel website (on my xp machine) I
downloaded the e100 driver (e100-2.3.38.tar.gz). I only have dsl access so I
burnt it to a cd and figured out that I needed to mount the drive to access it.
Then managed to extract the files but when I use the make fle I get the error:

Linux kernel source not found.

Which I assume funnily enough means I havent installed linux kernel source. I
checked /usr/src which was empty. I was told thats where it was meant to be.. I
didn't see an option when i installed. I searched the list as to how to install
the kernel source (running vannila) but they all mentioned apt-get. With dsl I
wont be able to get internet access until i can get my nic installed and set up
a pppoe connection. Any ideas how I can get the correct source and where i need
to install it to? It seems logical its on the binary 1 cd but how do i copy it
across? Sorry for the trouble but im really new to linux.

Peter.