Re: Inaccessible virtual terminals (monitor problem?)

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:18:23AM +0900, Victor Munoz wrote:

> Hello. During the last couple of weeks I've had to live with the xwindows
> virtual terminal only, as I cannot use the text ones. When I switch with
> Ctrl-Alt-Fn, n=1,...,6, I only get some monitor information about frequency.
> It seems to be complaining (sorry, it's in Japanese!), but it's a little
> weird that if it is a problem with the electronics, it only complains in
> text mode. Does this make sense to anyone?
>
> Rebooting solves the problem, for a while though.
>
> I tried to reset terminals with
>
> ps aux | grep getty | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -HUP

I have the same problem, but in my case it is related to using the
wrong (but best option) video driver. I have to use vesa, since I have
a Radeon 9800, for which there isn't anything available, except the
ati binaries. But these cause a bunch of problems, hence my use of
vesa.
HTH