Re: Upgrading 2.4 to 2.6 kernel problems

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:50:16 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded my unstable system from kernel 2.4.25 to 2.6.4.
I still have a couple of minor problems.

1. After the kernel has booted and init is running when modprobe is trying to insert drivers it is complaining all the time about a whole list of drivers which already have been loaded. This is true but I don't see why modprobe should complain all the time and produce a list of around ten drivers which already have been loaded. So I guess there is something wrong with my setup. Should I install more stuff then the only the kernel image? For the 2.4 kernels for example there is the package kernel-pcmcia-modules and I run Debian on a laptop with PCMCIA and a wireless card.

The stock kernels have been compiled with very different configurations
between 2.4 and 2.6. Because the computer generally knows what modules to
load at startup by reading a list of module names from /etc/modules, I'm
not surprised that you would be getting several that had already been
loaded - because you hadn't modified /etc/modules since the upgrade. Go
ahead and ignore the errors, or remove the offending entries from
/etc/modules and see whether things still work (they should).

Things still work after an almost empty /etc/modules (I need to put psmouse there otherwise my mouse does not work in Gnome, but I also still see all the already loaded messages :-(. Is it possible that it has to do with running discover in the initscripts??

Jaap
running discover in the initscripts. I haven't been able to