Re: Kernel compile blues

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> Kai Schindelka wrote:
> > Have a look at the packages build-essential and kernel-package.
> > The following works for me on a Debian stable:
> >
> > cd /usr/src/linux/
> > make menuconfig
> > make-kpkg clean
> > make-kpkg --revision <revision> --append_to_version -<appendix> \
> > kernel-image
> > cd ..
> >
> > After that, the image is installed with "dpkg -i <kernel-image>".
> >

> Also have a look at this excellent step-by-step HOWTO:
>
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Thanks for this link and the info. Well, I had thought to use kpkg but I
should first be able to install and boot using the kernel compiled in the
generic way, isn't it? That's what has been happening. I'll do a
monolithic kernel now I guess. But I _need_ modular kernel for some things
I have, like cmpci sound card+modem driver and more. A patched one on
that.

--
Can someone, who causes pain to others,